Dental checkups are more than just a time for your dentist to remind you to floss; they are an opportunity to learn more about your dental health and how you can protect your smile against tooth decay and other problems. We invite you to try the following practices during your next dental visit:
During the Dental Exam
- Notify the dental assistant of any discomfort you have been feeling, such as tooth sensitivity or persistent dental pain. Mention when the discomfort began and how often it occurs.
- Mention any medications you take that you worry could cause adverse health effects, such as dry mouth or bad breath, and what solutions are available.
- Ask any questions you have about dental conditions, including gum disease, oral cancer, or bad bite alignment, especially if any of these problems run in your family.
During the Visit with Your Dentist
- Ask about your treatment options for any existing dental problems. Speak up about your preferences, fears, and financial limitations, if applicable, so that the dentist can provide you with a customized treatment plan that fits all of your needs.
- Notify the dentist of any dental restorations that have been causing you concern, such as an ill-fitting dental crown, dental bridge, or denture.
- If you are considering a certain dental service (ie, teeth whitening, dental implants, dentures, etc.), speak with your dentist about the nature, benefits, and limitations of each and whether they are right for your smile.
During the Dental Cleaning
- Be honest about your oral care habits (or lack thereof) so that the hygienist can make recommendations on how you can improve your daily hygiene routine.
- Ask about proper cleaning techniques if you suspect your routine could use improvement. You may wonder how long you should brush or how to floss the hard-to-reach areas of your smile.
- Feel free to ask for toothbrush, mouthwash, and floss recommendations, and what to look for in each of these products.
At Pantops Prosthodontics, we are committed to helping you keep your smile in excellent health, and we are proud to offer a safe, compassionate environment for our patients. If you have further questions about how you can get more out of your next dental checkup in Charlottesville, Virginia, please call 434-977-9836 and schedule an appointment with Dr. Ben Ross.